Thursday, January 3, 2013

Mercury Copy Cat Glass

I stumbled upon a DIY for making glass have a "Mercury Glass" effect.
This effect is so popular, it is pretty much anywhere home decor is sold. I figured, why not try it myself?

I went to Marshalls today and a picked up an inexpensive (but nice) glass vase for $4.00!
My project is currently drying right now, I'll have an update post for the finished piece :)

Supplies:
  • Glass Vase
  • Vinegar
  • Water
  • Spray bottle
  • Krylon Looking Glass Spray paint
  • Newspaper (MESSY!)

I went ahead and bought some cheap christmas ornaments since Hobby Lobby was having a huge 80% off christmas sale.

First, pour equal parts water and vinegar into a spray bottle. (Make sure to clean out the spray bottle good, and use a funnel!) Next, I spray painted the glass vase with the Krylon Looking Glass Spray Paint. Right after, I spritzed the vase with my water/vinegar mixture.

This is what the vase looked like outside. They are still drying and I haven't seen what they will look like inside and when dry! 
I also spray painted an ornament:
I thought spraying the ornament was a little tricky, I had to sit it on the spray paint can top to help support it as it dried, then flip it over and spray the bottom.

I'm excited to see how it turned out!!



Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment