Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Spicy Dinner

I had some cilantro in the refridgerator needing some attention, so I decided to chop up a quick dinner.
The meal consists of chicken, rice and a vegetable. Asparagus goes bad for me fairly quickly, therefore I substituted it for the veggie. I enjoy spicing up my meals with all sorts of flavor so I have to investigate the pantry.

For the vegetable, the Asparagus was simply tossed in garlic seasoning and olive oil. No salt, nothing else! I set the oven to 400 degrees F, roasted them for about 20 minutes. (Adding fresh parmesan is optional).

Meat, if it was my way I most likely would not have added meat to the menu, however I'm feeding others rather than just myself...


....So I chose chicken! 

I seasoned it with:
  • Lime juice
  • Cumin
  • Paprika
  • Chile powder
  • pinch of salt
  • garlic powder
Tossed it with olive oil and seasonings and sautéed them in the pan!

The rice was the last side dish and finished cooking as I sautéed the chicken. First, bring 2 cups of water to a boil with 1tbsp butter ( I used dairy free), a garlic clove, and a pinch of salt.
Next, I poured 1 cup of white rice into the pot, lowered heat, covered and cooked for 15 min.

Once the rice is cooked and cooled, squeeze 1 lime and add minced fresh cilantro into the rice mixture.



Finished! The sauce is optional, but definitely adds a great deal of flavor when poured over the rice and chicken. When blending, add more or less based on your preference!
Blend:
  • 1 can of diced chiles & tomatoes (rotel)
  • 1 can of small tomato sauce
  • fresh cilantro
  • fresh garlic
  • Jalapeños
The sauce is sort of like a salsa you may eat with chips, not quite the way I would make a dipping salsa though.

Yum :)
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment